Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default OK - I Got A Chainsaw - Now What?

Thanks to all who added to this thread.

I was hoping this would generate more info on using a chainsaw,
preferably related to cutting up stuff for turning. Mr. Brugo
covered a lot more ground than contained in merely two pages
but I wasn't sure how much interest there was in the subject.

Like so much in woodworking, most books, videos, classes, etc.
assume that certain things are "common knowledge" and therefore
not worth mentioning. That probably worked well - when there was
an apprenticeship program in the trades. A newbie could observe
the journeyman or master and pick up that knowledge not specifically
told to him. Alas, most of us will never serve an apprenticeship
to pick up that necessary be never spelled out "common knowledge".

As a jewelry teacher I assumed that my students knew nothing
about jewelry making or lost wax casting. I told my students up
front that if I went over something they already knew, to not
take it that I assumed that they were ignorant or stupid, but
wanted to make sure they got what they needed to know. Many
folks are embarassed to ask what they believe to be a stupid
question. As a teacher, I told them that there was no such thing
as a stupid questions if you really wanted to know the answer and
that it was stupid not to ask, and keep asking, until you got the
info you needed in a way you could understand it.

So George, and any other very experienced folks out there -
what's obvious to you may not be obvious to someone else
with less experience and hard earned knowledge. Often it's
the little things that don't seem worth mentioning that can
mean the difference between success and failure, or even the
willingness to try.

If I post something that "everybody already knows" I'll do it
because I didn't know before, do now, and hope the info helps
the next newbie in line.

I came here from The Wreck (rec.woodworking) so I've got
pretty thick skin, Nomex suit and a sense of humor. I may
not always be right - but my intentions will always be good.

charlie b