Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default OK - I Got A Chainsaw - Now What?

I would also suggest that you get Bill Grumbine's first DVD. He also
shows how to cut up a log. One thing that I do is to mark parallel
lines on the log, one for the top of the bowl, and one for the bottom.
I mark on the end grain, and along the bark, and when you are just
starting to learn to use the chainsaw, I mark both ends of the log.
This does a lot to help the cuts go straight and parallel. This makes
it a lot easier to get a flat surface that is suitable for a bandsaw,
or to have a flat bottom to set the blank on so you can lop off the
corners. It is much easier to round off the blank if it has a flat
bottom. It is easiest to cut if the saw blade is longer than the blank.
I like to start the cut down the front side, then pivot the tip down as
far as it can go without hitting dirt, then finish the cut on the
front. This seems to give the cleanest and flattest cut. A small hand
axe can do some trim work.

As far as Bart's situation goes, I am puzzeled. If it is sharp, then it
shouldn't get dull that fast. You may be getting chips/shavings packed
up inside the saw. This happens a lot when cutting parallel to the
grain which is why it is better to cut at an angle. When cutting at an
angle you get smaller chips which eject easily, where the long shavings
can clog easily. This is more of a problem on smaller saws than on
bigger ones. My big Husky, even if it gets a bit clogged can push
shavings through, while the smaller electric one will bind up.

robo hippy
Bart V wrote:
Thanks for the pics, nice and clear!
I guess I'm doing it all wrong but... When I try to chainsaw my way
through the log (length wise along the grain) it takes forever and
ever, the chain gets hot & dull real easy. When I resharpen the chain
(18") it flies through it only for an inch and it's back to snail
speed.
Do I have a cheapo chain? Am I doing it wrong? Whatever?
I just lucked onto a motherload of fresh kill maple and based on my
experience so far, despite the fact that it's maple, I'm tempted to
let it dry out for next year's fireplace season. Yeah, I know a crying
shame so I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
By the way, there's more than I'd be using on the lathe myself so I'd
consider trades, offers...
Bart,
Hamilton, Ontario.
my current email address: http://haruteq.com/contact.htm

-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com