Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Freezers / F.Freezers - mine just died - any recomendations?

Mathew Newton wrote:

Tim S wrote:
tester wrote:

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.

If it lasted 15 years, another of the same brand???

Flawed logic unfortunately...

In the vast majority of cases the only thing in common between branded
products from 15 years ago and today is the name... the ownership,
design, manufacturing and quality will likely have changed massively.
Hence, assuming a replacement with the same name will give you the same
performance and longetivity is exactly the reason why the brands have
changed hands so many times... there's money to be made from the logo
alone.

Not so much "flawed logic" as "omission of key fact", but you are right, in
hindsight. Same with cars - buy a Cheverolet Matiz but you are really to
all intents and purposes getting a Daewoo assembled by Vauxhall.

Even long lived names need some care too - Bosch Logixx products are (at the
last count anyway) designed and built in Germany whereas their low end
stuff is built in Spain. Probably safe with Miele though.

There is a good page at

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17
describing 'whos who'.

Mathew

That does make a very interesting read. Didn't realise that Bosch, Siemens
and Neff were co-owned.

Cheers

Tim