Tim Williams

Default Home made heat treat oven information

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
What I would be really impressed by is a homemade neutral atmosphere
furnace !!!

Absolutely, or a controlled atmosphere one (same thing?). If you've seen
parts that have come from such a furnace, it puts things right in
perspective.

I bet you could do by first sealing the outside box very well (welded seams
I guess), making very certain of the leakage points (i.e. door), then
filling it with a few CFM of natural gas (as you say), or propane since
Roy's a gas nut, which could be applied with something like a torch.
Maybe one using compressed air as well so you can completely turn off the
gas and get an oxidizing/well-ventilated atmosphere (say if you wanted to do
pottery? err I mean make your own crucibles .
Or even hook it up to your MIG bottle and get a completely inert
atmosphere... not sure what would need that though.

For toasting steel, somehow I imagine best would be something with orange
flames coming out around the seals ;-) (Although... that might make for
better case hardening than heat treating...)

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson