Roy

Default Home made heat treat oven information

Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

I looked in the drop box fro such a project but have not seen any,.
but then again I may have missed one that is in there. Anyhow anyone
with any info on making a heat treat oven thats out there, I certainly
would appreciate some insight.

I have 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch insulated fire brick that I plan to use for
th liner / insulation and fit these inside a bent sheet steel box
hopefully. Not looking to make a huyge oven just something to heat
treat a few small items from time to time.

Any info appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Backlash

Roy, I do a lot of emergency machining and repair work, and have found that
if air-hardening A2 tool steel is used, an even heat to glowing red from a
torch, air cooling, followed by a tempering with the torch works just fine.
Scale is buffed off, beadblasted, or left as is. I have a foot-powered
turntable to apply the heat as evenly as possible by spinning the part
slowly while heating. I probably do a hundred or more small parts a year
like this with great success.

RJ

--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of you."

"Roy" wrote in message
Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

I looked in the drop box fro such a project but have not seen any,.
but then again I may have missed one that is in there. Anyhow anyone
with any info on making a heat treat oven thats out there, I certainly
would appreciate some insight.

I have 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch insulated fire brick that I plan to use for
th liner / insulation and fit these inside a bent sheet steel box
hopefully. Not looking to make a huyge oven just something to heat
treat a few small items from time to time.

Any info appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Roy

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:11:05 -0500, "Backlash"
wrote:

===Roy, I do a lot of emergency machining and repair work, and have found that
===if air-hardening A2 tool steel is used, an even heat to glowing red from a
===torch, air cooling, followed by a tempering with the torch works just fine.
===Scale is buffed off, beadblasted, or left as is. I have a foot-powered
===turntable to apply the heat as evenly as possible by spinning the part
===slowly while heating. I probably do a hundred or more small parts a year
===like this with great success.
===
===RJ

I do not have a O/A torch and would prefer to have a self contained
oven if possible. Besides it gives me something else to play with and
work on to keep me from getting bored. I just have these urges to make
things. YOu know how it is ;-)

Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Tim Wescott

Are you making tools, or are you making something that needs to be tough? I
am also interested in building a heat-treat furnace similar to what Roy
wants, but it is for things like small crankshafts that will be receiving a
pounding. Over hardened steel would just snap.

"Roy" wrote in message
Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

I looked in the drop box fro such a project but have not seen any,.
but then again I may have missed one that is in there. Anyhow anyone
with any info on making a heat treat oven thats out there, I certainly
would appreciate some insight.

I have 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch insulated fire brick that I plan to use for
th liner / insulation and fit these inside a bent sheet steel box
hopefully. Not looking to make a huyge oven just something to heat
treat a few small items from time to time.

Any info appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Tim Williams

I would say, carve some grooves in the side walls for heater wire, *maybe*
use it edge-wise instead, that is, 4.5" walls - *great* insulation that way,
but will use up a lot quickly.. (would be good if you have a long heat to
do... heh maybe anneal some white cast iron? Mmm, malleable iron!).
Otherwise, electricity is cheap.

If you know the thermal conductivity of the stuff, you can estimate power
consumption required for a certain temperature. Would suck to load it full
of wire and realize you can only get to 1400°F from 240V! (Psst... find a
240:480V transformer of good power rating

Only other thing I would suggest is to put more wire in the corners, and put
it on the largest walls if possible. Any wall that isn't contributing heat
is sucking it down, and corners, being surrounded by cooling wall on three
sides, will suck it down a lot.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Roy" wrote in message
Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

I looked in the drop box fro such a project but have not seen any,.
but then again I may have missed one that is in there. Anyhow anyone
with any info on making a heat treat oven thats out there, I certainly
would appreciate some insight.

I have 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch insulated fire brick that I plan to use for
th liner / insulation and fit these inside a bent sheet steel box
hopefully. Not looking to make a huyge oven just something to heat
treat a few small items from time to time.

Any info appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

David Billington

You could have a look here
http://www.euclids.com/element-design.htm

There was a similar thread last week (03/02/04, 02/03/04 US) entitled
"Temperature controlled furnace?" and (14/01/04, 01/14/04 US) entitled
"furnace heating element" that may be of use.

Roy wrote:

Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

I looked in the drop box fro such a project but have not seen any,.
but then again I may have missed one that is in there. Anyhow anyone
with any info on making a heat treat oven thats out there, I certainly
would appreciate some insight.

I have 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch insulated fire brick that I plan to use for
th liner / insulation and fit these inside a bent sheet steel box
hopefully. Not looking to make a huyge oven just something to heat
treat a few small items from time to time.

Any info appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Jim Wilson

Roy wrote...
Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

Roy, I was searching for something similar about a year ago, and found
good information glassworking enthusiasts. It seems home glassworkers are
even tighter than home machinists. (G)

Jim
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
snip---------
(Psst... find a
240:480V transformer of good power rating

snip------
Tim

????
For what reason? Ohm's law says it makes no difference aside from losing
a little in heat to the transformer. Is there something I'm missing here?

Harold

John Ings

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:50:12 -0800, "Tim Wescott"
wrote:

Are you making tools, or are you making something that needs to be tough? I
am also interested in building a heat-treat furnace similar to what Roy
wants, but it is for things like small crankshafts that will be receiving a
pounding. Over hardened steel would just snap.

My plans are about the same. So far I have the controller and
thermocouple, but will have to wait until I can get into the nearest
big city to see about firebrick. I plan to document my project with
picures on my webpage. Meanwhile, I've found this book of interest:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=25 94

This source always seems to have it up for sale on e-bay but
Busy Bee Tools sels it for less. It's full of good info.

Tim Williams

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
For what reason? Ohm's law says it makes no difference aside from

losing
a little in heat to the transformer. Is there something I'm missing

here?

If you have too much resistance, you won't be able to dissipate the required
amount of heat at a given voltage. (Likewise, if you used too little, you
may have to run it off 120V - at an excess of current.) If you put in too
much wire, it may well be that the ultimate temperature will be too low at
240V! However, a stepup transformer will put more voltage on it = more
current = more power.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Martin H. Eastburn

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
snip---------
(Psst... find a

240:480V transformer of good power rating

snip------

Tim

????
For what reason? Ohm's law says it makes no difference aside from losing
a little in heat to the transformer. Is there something I'm missing here?

Harold

Naturally one would want the higher voltage lines. Lower current for the same power.
Smaller wire size at lower cost still over the top in rating is cheaper.

I suspect there are motor elements also - not sure. Current is typically called out...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
For what reason? Ohm's law says it makes no difference aside from

losing
a little in heat to the transformer. Is there something I'm missing

here?

If you have too much resistance, you won't be able to dissipate the

required
amount of heat at a given voltage. (Likewise, if you used too little, you
may have to run it off 120V - at an excess of current.) If you put in too
much wire, it may well be that the ultimate temperature will be too low at
240V! However, a stepup transformer will put more voltage on it = more
current = more power.

Tim

Understood. I was going on the assumption that one would select heating
elements for the voltage at hand, so it made no sense. Chromolox makes a
wide variety of heating elements, many of which would likely lend themselves
to the building of a furnace. One might be wiser to pay for the right
element instead of involving a transformer, if for no other reason,
economics and space savings. Running the elements at the recommended
voltage might be a good idea to prevent over-heating them, shortening their
useful life considerably. I'd also question the safety of higher and
higher voltages, although one of my machines runs off 480, achieved by the
use of a three phase 240/480 delta transformer. I had no alternative,
though, the motors didn't lend themselves to being rewired to our standard
voltages. It is a German precision grinding machine.

Harold

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Scott Moore

"Roy" wrote in message ...
Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

Gingerly gives you enough info to do this. See "big bertha" or suchlike.
Its for a round furnace, but the idea can be extrapolated to anything.

What I would be really impressed by is a homemade neutral atmosphere
furnace !!!

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
"Roy" wrote in message

Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

Gingerly gives you enough info to do this. See "big bertha" or suchlike.
Its for a round furnace, but the idea can be extrapolated to anything.

What I would be really impressed by is a homemade neutral atmosphere
furnace !!!

Absolutely, or a controlled atmosphere one (same thing?). If you've seen
parts that have come from such a furnace, it puts things right in
perspective. The heat treat facility that I used to use controlled their
atmosphere with natural gas, which seemed to work beautifully. How I
hate the scaling and the decarburizing of heating in the typical furnace
after seeing how nice it can be.

Harold

Tim Williams

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
Understood. I was going on the assumption that one would select heating
elements for the voltage at hand, so it made no sense.

One might be wiser to pay for the right
element instead of involving a transformer, if for no other reason,
economics and space savings.

Yup. But Roy is the master scavenger, so who knows, he may just rip off an
electric dryer or two!

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Tim Williams

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
What I would be really impressed by is a homemade neutral atmosphere
furnace !!!

Absolutely, or a controlled atmosphere one (same thing?). If you've seen
parts that have come from such a furnace, it puts things right in
perspective.

I bet you could do by first sealing the outside box very well (welded seams
I guess), making very certain of the leakage points (i.e. door), then
filling it with a few CFM of natural gas (as you say), or propane since
Roy's a gas nut, which could be applied with something like a torch.
Maybe one using compressed air as well so you can completely turn off the
gas and get an oxidizing/well-ventilated atmosphere (say if you wanted to do
pottery? err I mean make your own crucibles .
Or even hook it up to your MIG bottle and get a completely inert
atmosphere... not sure what would need that though.

For toasting steel, somehow I imagine best would be something with orange
flames coming out around the seals ;-) (Although... that might make for
better case hardening than heat treating...)

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
snip-----
For toasting steel, somehow I imagine best would be something with orange
flames coming out around the seals ;-) (Although... that might make for
better case hardening than heat treating...)

Tim

That is one method for case hardening, packing in carbon being another.
Coked peach pits were the carbon of choice for pack hardening where I worked
as a young man.

Harold

Gary Coffman

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:04:50 -0600, "Tim Williams" wrote:
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
For what reason? Ohm's law says it makes no difference aside from

losing
a little in heat to the transformer. Is there something I'm missing

here?

If you have too much resistance, you won't be able to dissipate the required
amount of heat at a given voltage. (Likewise, if you used too little, you
may have to run it off 120V - at an excess of current.) If you put in too
much wire, it may well be that the ultimate temperature will be too low at
240V! However, a stepup transformer will put more voltage on it = more
current = more power.

Well, if the latter were the case, then putting in *more wire* in
*parallel* with the existing wire would solve the problem without
resort to a transformer. There's nothing which says you have to
run all the elements in series.

If the former, then just inserting *more wire* in series with the
existing wire would resolve the issue without the need to drop
the supply voltage.

In principle, you can run with any voltage you like, as long as
you adjust the total resistance of the furnace by either choosing
a single wire of the correct length, or by using multiple wires
connected in series or parallel to achieve the desired resistance.

Gary

Gary Coffman

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:25:04 -0600, "Tim Williams" wrote:
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
What I would be really impressed by is a homemade neutral atmosphere
furnace !!!

Absolutely, or a controlled atmosphere one (same thing?). If you've seen
parts that have come from such a furnace, it puts things right in
perspective.

I bet you could do by first sealing the outside box very well (welded seams
I guess), making very certain of the leakage points (i.e. door), then
filling it with a few CFM of natural gas (as you say), or propane since
Roy's a gas nut, which could be applied with something like a torch.

That'd give you a carburizing atmosphere, perhaps useful for case
hardening, but more likely to produce a large BOOM if any air remains
in the furnace.

Maybe one using compressed air as well so you can completely turn off the
gas and get an oxidizing/well-ventilated atmosphere (say if you wanted to do
pottery? err I mean make your own crucibles .

Not much use for an oxidizing atmosphere in a heat treating furnace.
You'd get *lots* of scale, decarburization of the steel, etc.

Or even hook it up to your MIG bottle and get a completely inert
atmosphere... not sure what would need that though.

Now you're talking. An inert atmosphere will prevent either carburization
or oxidation of the steel. The part will come out nice and bright and clean
with exactly the chemical composition it had when it went in, but with a
different grain structure due to the heat treating. That's exactly what
you want.

Gary
Tim Williams

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
Well, if the latter were the case, then putting in *more wire* in
*parallel* with the existing wire would solve the problem without
resort to a transformer. There's nothing which says you have to
run all the elements in series.

Yup. Could just as well run opposite walls in parallel, or any other kooky
combination you feel like conjuring up. Just didn't occur to me in my tired
state

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Tim Williams

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
That is one method for case hardening, packing in carbon being another.
Coked peach pits were the carbon of choice for pack hardening where I
worked as a young man.

Must be because of the cyanides...

BTW... what kind of temps and soak times are required to get how much case
thickness? I tried case-hardening a bit of keystock (galv. mild CRS) the
other week by cycles of heating it (the thin layer of galv. oxidized/burnt
off) to orange and dipping in powdered oak charcoal for a few minutes. Also
tried coating it with borax and dipping that in the carbon. (As sticky as
borax is, it doesn't seem to do much with powders. Bah!)

Afterwards I quenched it and it seemed harder, maybe up to a 1030-1040 range
I guess, Idunno... Spark test didn't show much, although I shouldn't be
expecting it to, eh?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
That is one method for case hardening, packing in carbon being another.
Coked peach pits were the carbon of choice for pack hardening where I
worked as a young man.

Must be because of the cyanides..

I have often considered the same thing, but have never read that is the
case. There has to be a good reason the industry goes out of its way to
carbonize (coke) peach pits.

BTW... what kind of temps and soak times are required to get how much case
thickness? I tried case-hardening a bit of keystock (galv. mild CRS) the
other week by cycles of heating it (the thin layer of galv. oxidized/burnt
off) to orange and dipping in powdered oak charcoal for a few minutes.

Also
tried coating it with borax and dipping that in the carbon. (As sticky as
borax is, it doesn't seem to do much with powders. Bah!)

Afterwards I quenched it and it seemed harder, maybe up to a 1030-1040

range
I guess, Idunno... Spark test didn't show much, although I shouldn't be
expecting it to, eh?

Tim

No, you shouldn't expect much by that process because of the brief exposure
of the metal to carbon monoxide. Pack hardening yields a depth of carbon of
about .015" for the first hour, then drops off to roughly .010" per hour
afterwards. By the time you have a thickness of roughly .090", the deposit
tends to drop off to zero, although I'm sure there must be exceptions.
Where I worked. they'd cook things for hours to get the depth desired The
parts were placed in steel boxes with snug fitting lids, along with the
peach pits, which were still very recognizable, but resembled typical coke
otherwise. Temperatures for proper transformation run from 1,500F to
1,800F, depending on the material at hand.

Harold

dberryhill

Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

By the time you buy a controller, insulation, etc, what would that cost? I
did a quick search on kilns and burnout ovens and found that you can buy a
small, digitally controlled oven that heats up to about 2000 degrees F for
around $500. They are a little smaller, maybe 6 to 8 inches cubed but a
larger one can be had for about $200 more. I would imagine that the
controller would be the most expensive part.

Dave

Tim Williams

"dberryhill" wrote in message
By the time you buy a controller, insulation, etc, what would that cost?

Well considering he scavanged the firebrick, I'd say there goes a BIG part
of the cost! ;-)

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

By the time you buy a controller, insulation, etc, what would that cost?
Well considering he scavanged the firebrick, I'd say there goes a BIG part
of the cost! ;-)
Tim

And wire from the scrap yard! They have tons of it, complete with
stainless steel frames what hold the little ceramic insulators etc
all set up and ready to go. Just bend it to form a hollow center
and stack insulated fire bricks around it.

Not home dryer/furnace equiptment but industrial stuff. I got my
share but now what? How do I figure the wire vs. the electric
requirements so that I can get as close to right as theory allows?

I know Ohm's law but what's got me messed up is the resistance of
the wire changes as it heats up. :/ What happens with that? And
the idea of containing the heat as opposed to blowing air by it.

My guess is all that stuff is setup for preheating air with an
unknown voltage applied.

Working with unknown wire alloys, only wire length and diameter is
known. Resistance can be known too, but where to start on that?

I'd like to set it up for 240v.

So what's got me messed up is the heat/temperature output from an
unknown quanity of wire.

Any clues you can give me on that?
Or resources that I should read?

(got the website address from earlier in this thread and will
look into it later)

Alvin in AZ