Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Dishwashing tablets

On 12 Dec 2006 08:10:12 -0800, wrote:

As I recall, all the dishwasher instructions I have read indicate that
the main detergent goes into the covered dispenser, where it will be
released for the main wash cycles. The uncovered cup is for optional
additional detergent for the first cycle, to be used if dishes are
extra dirty. If you only put detergent there, it will likely be gone
before the main washing cycles. Plus, at least on some DW, the second
one is smaller than the main.

Well, mine are the same size. In a way the "main" one (You've
convinced me, plus I looked at the package again, which shows a
picture of one with a rotating cover for the main one), in a way the
main one is smaller, because I can fill the one with no cover to
overflowing, but I have to remove soap sometimes in order to close the
Main one.

It looks like I've been doing things wrong. I was confused becuase
the Electrosol are two colors, and I figured they wouldn't degrade
performance from the original, so some soap came off in the first wash
and some in the second. But if it doesn't work that way, and I'll
check too eventually, I'm going to put two tablets in.

Once when I first got here, I don't think I had any stuff, so I used
powdered laundry detergent, in both cups. I also left the house.
Just like an I Love Lucy episode, the kitchen was covered with bubbles
when I got home. In some places 8 inches of bubbles.

As far as merits of tablets, powder, etc, Consumer Reports testing
concluded that the main difference with the ones that did the best job
was that they all contained enzymes.

I didn't really believe there were enzymes in this or laundry soap,
until I heard stories of workers getting sick, or risking getting
sick.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)