Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Using #14 wire for one light on 20A breaker

In , Doug Miller wrote in
part:

No -- but that's because the Code builds the "80% rule" into the overcurrent
protection limits for 10, 14, and 12ga conductors, not because of any limits
on the conductor's ability to carry current. It's for additional safety. But
if you would actually READ THE CODE, you'd find out that the ampacities
are in fact considerably higher than the permitted overcurrent
protection. It's two separate issues.

OK, I learned something here - the issue that I was thinking of, where
15 amps is the limit for AWG 14 permanently installed wiring regardless of
its temperature rating, is called "permitted overcurrent protection".

- Don Klipstein )