Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mjmwallace@gmail.com is offline

Default Is it worth a career change? Part 2

Never Enough Money :

Does anyone know where to find suppliers?

Where to turners usually buy their wood? (I'm not a turner.)

Do a lot of you use mail-order or internet ordering?

Is exotic woods next on Home Depot's expansion plans?

What's the mark-up on exotic lumber? How much just never gets sold
because it's "not pretty enough?"

These are very good questions and you need to figure them out on
the basis of your market. You have to decide who your customers
are going to be, what are they doing now to satisfy their needs and
finally what are the numbers for the business - cost of material,
taxes, rent, utilities, salaries, etc.

I'd find someone in area, if possible, who is with SCORE. This
is a group that helps upstart businesses or those who are in
trouble to get the right info. Also check your finances. How long
can you go WITHOUT pay? Can you may your utilities, food, insurance,
gas, car payments for 6 mos or a year?

Perhaps, you could arrange to the "big guy" in this business, that
is allow the present owner be the day-to-day manager and you
just are the finance guy behind him.Would allow you to continue
in your present job and gradually get a sense of what it will take
to run the business on your own.

As far as HD - I doubt they would stack exotic lumber. The volume
they deal in is far to great - most people wouldn't know what do with
it
and it would hit/miss as to the quality and form (you might get mostly
rough cut lumber is odd sizes).

I'd also seekout advice from high-end cabinet shops in your area
or find a woodworking group. Got to be one nearby. Find out where
they buy their lumber. That will give you a lot of start.

I wish you a lot of luck but it appears you are on the road here
and just want some advice to keep you there. If it were me,
you're dates are a bit too rushed - there is so much to consider.

Our local community college has a small-business center and
they have a lot of courses on how to startup a business and
maintain it. Look for something similar in your area.

MJ Wallace