Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Any 240v woodworking equipment need a neutral?

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 02:04:38 GMT, "resrfglc"
wrote:

"clause where I promise to hire an electrician"

No, its not likely to be so clearly identifiable in the small print. But
they are rife with exculpation clauses. So is your mortgage agreement.
Basically, they are not insuring against your failure to do things properly,
follow the codes, etc.

I'll bet you have never read your insurance policy or mortgage agreement all
the way through. Not being a smart-ass here, but trying to make thepoint
that it is best to build in right and bulletproof the first time out for a
number of reasons not necessarily limited to insurance, liability and so
forth,

Since I've seen this troll on several usenet sites, I decided I would
read my policy cover to cover to discern the accuracy of the
statement. Not there.

And you don't have to be a licensed electrician to wire by the code.
You just have to know the code.

Let's leave it at: "If your house burned down as a result of an electrical
fire, would call you all the insurer and advise that you had installed the
suspected circuit?"

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:12:02 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Is it fair to say that all 240v woodworking equipment runs without
neutrals?
I am running a new circuit and would prefer to use 10/2 rather than 10/3;
but sure don't want to do it twice.

If there are no 120 accessory items on the machine.

However, as one who is at this very moment lamenting the fact that he
did not plan ahead and pull what he should have pulled when he
originally built his shop, and now to expand it will have to pull
again, knowing it would have been just as easy and not much more cost
to pull more than one would need, my advice in that area should be
predictable (as I slap my head in dismay).

But:

You do not need a grounded conductor if you do not have any
requirement for it on the machine.

You DO need a grounding conductor. You're health and well being might
require it. Additionally, you will negate the work of that fine
individual(s) at the end of the assembly line who painstakenly checked
each and every machine for complete ground continuity before it was
shipped to you.

In my area, the only requirement for a licensed electrician is at a
service entrance set, and no permit is required to run a circuit
inside your house.

I don't know about your insurance policy, but mine does not have a
clause where I promise to hire an electrician, disallowing the policy
if I don't.

Frank