Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Is it worth a career change? Part 2

Never Enough Money wrote:
I appreciate all the advice and insight I got on the original posting
called "Is it worth a career change?"
But let's suppose I'm either dumb or stubborn or both and wanted to
open up a business despite your admonishments not to. Yes, I've decided
a Woodcraft store is probably not the right thing to do. But now I'm
"kinda sorta" stuck on a place that sells exotic lumber. Let me pursue
that idea a little .....

Man, if I was you, I'd ask the guy for a record of recent years sales,
where he buys his stuff from (and other operational quesitons), etc.

Why is the guy selling? Maybe it's because he's not making any money at
it? You must consider this.

Another thing to keep in mind.. How much in demand are exotic woods?
What's his existing client base? Are there any current customers that
would give you some reliable repeat business.

I think this would be a tough business to get into. The hobbyists that
just need a board or two are going to go to a place like Woodcraft..
that's where I go if I want one piece of Bloodwood or whatever. Are you
going to be cost competitve enough to sell Maple/oak/whatever to the
local cabinent shops or serious hobbyists.. For example, some friends
and I order about 600 board feet about every 2 years. There's a place
that gives us a great volume discount on FAS grade wood when we order
that much and gives us free delivery. Are you going to be able to
compete with a place like that.

I'm a bit concerned that this business is a very small niche. Look over
everything carefully. It might even be worth getting someone
experienced in running their own business to help look over the paper
work.

If you really want to open your own business, have you considered a
laundrymat (I've read that's the business that has the smallest rate of
failure), or maybe one of those janitor franchises, or some other
franchise? True, it won't be wood, but based on people I've talked to,
as soon as you turn a hobby into a business, it's no longer fun. I have
a friend that ran his own pet store for 6 years. He hates pets now, and
is pretty bitter about the whole experience.

In regards to your other question: A lot of turners harvest their wood
from downed trees. I'm sure some pay big bucks for those exotic bowl
blanks at woodcraft, but a lot of turners get their bowl wood for free.