Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Is it worth a career change? Part 2

On 11 Dec 2006 19:13:14 -0800, wrote:

You should not take for
granted that simply buying the business will be good for it, not even
with your laundry list of improvements.

Lot of good points there, and directly above is one of the best.

Good intentions don't make for improvements- I've been through a
couple of changes in management as an employee over the years, and it
seems like every time a new guy steps in, they feel they have to make
their mark by "improving" things- sometimes that works, but far more
often than not, the laundry list of improvements ends up alienating
not only the employees, but the customers and suppliers as well.

You need to learn your
clientele and see if you are a good fit. I am now driving further and
paying more to get what I want, and so are the rest of my fellow
contractors. And unless one of the contractors goes back to the store
for a while and has some successful transactions and can give us "the
all clear" sign, none of us will be back.

Robert