Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Is it worth a career change? Part 2

Mon, Dec 11, 2006, 10:02am (EST-3)
(Never*Enough*Money) is still wanting to go broke:
I appreciate all the advice and insight I got on the original posting
called "Is it worth a career change?"
But let's suppose I'm either dumb or stubborn or both and wanted to open
up a business despite your admonishments not to. snip

No prob. That's up to you. But if I wasw you I wouldn't quit my
day job.

I won't guarantee this is 100% accurate, but I would think it's
pretty damn close. I read once that 90% of all new businesses fail in
the first year of business; then about 90% of the surviving businesses
fail within the first five years of business. Those that are still in
business after five years supposedly have a quite good chance of staying
in business.

You've found a place for sale. Judging from what you posted this
time, I'd say you've still got a LOT of homework to do before you start
putting out money. A lot of successful businesses were started
part-time, out of someone's home or garage. You don't know zip about
what you want to do, but you still want to spend a lot of money doing
it. Souinds kinda trollish, wouldn't you say? But, if you're serious,
and still want to spend money, you might want to buy part of an already
established business, and I don't mean oe that's just opened, one that's
been in business for a few years. OR, start a part-time business out of
your garage - that way if you go botom up because of lack of adequate
homework you won't be out a load of money, and you can always use the
leftover stock yourself.

Me, I decided long ago not to use any wood not native, or grown in,
North Carolina. With the exception of plywood, and no-one knows where
plywood grows, and free wood - which includes pallet wood. So, the only
"exotic" woods I'll be using would either be something out of a pallet,
or something someone gives me. That's just a choice I made some years
back. If someone wants to send me some free "furrin" wood, I'd be more
than happy to use it. As is, I do have a small stash of some nice
Spanish cedar I got from a pallet, quite awhile back, just not made up
my mind yet what I want to make with it.

Hell, you want to sell wood, get yourself one of those portable
bandsaw mills, and arrange to pickup trees that've been taken down to
make all those damn subdivisions going up. Free wood, sell cheap, you
can damn sure betcha if I had room that's what I'd be doing.

You're a big boy now, you'd should be figuring all this stuff out
on your own, instead of looking for someone to tell you what to do and
how to do it. Now, that'll be $100 consulting fee, and a bargain at
half the price. You can use PayPal, or send a postal money order, just
e-mail me for details on transferring funds. Send the money before you
start your business, I want to be sure you'll have the funds.

JOAT
I am, therefore I think.