Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Dishwashing tablets

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:32:07 GMT, "Lady" wrote:

I have always considered the "main" dishwasher compartment to be the one
with the cover, which dispenses second.

That sounds fair to me. From my pov, the cover makes it look more
important, "main".

The first one (the uncovered one) I
believe to be the pre-rinse.

Fair enough also. But have you realized that since, with powders, it
is intended that one put soap in both cups, meaning that it is
intended that there be washing with detergent in both cycles. And by
putting the electrosol in the cup that is covered during the first
cycle, there is very little cleaning then, not like with detergent as
was intended.

It's pretty clear to me that, to get the full cleaning effect intended
one must put the tablet in the *uncovered* cup, or into the bottom of
the dishwasher, where it will fall as soon as one shuts the door.

Now I recall that I called their 800 number years ago to inform them
that their instructions were ambiguous and likely misinterpreted by
half or more of those who used the product. I actually forget how the
conversaation went, but that's when they sent me the coupons for the
big cylinder of tablets, and a box of two plastic thimbles with spot
preventer.

So here it is at least 4 years later, and they are still ambiguous. I
thought they would change things after I called, and maybe they did.
IIRC they didn't even use the word "main" 4+ years ago, and maybe they
added the word main, but that doesn't help since no one knows which is
the main one.

Cascade, which didn't make tablets last time I read the Electrosol
instructions, and the house brand, also use the term "main".

By the way - I also use Electrasol - it's the only thing that gets my tea
stains off my mugs. But they do still have the actual tablets - not just
the gel stuff which I hate. Not sure where you shop but all the groceries I
shop at as well as Wal Mart still carry them - plus they are on their
website
http://www.electrasol.us/whats_new.html

Well, good to know. Thanks. I'll look harder next time, but I've
already opened the Food Lion box, which only has one color material.

I always wonder if there is difference in effectiveness or quality or
taste with house brands, in a lot brands, in a lot of products.

I have noticed that canned vegetables seem to have more stems or
whatever that are not very edible, than name brand vegetables, corn at
least.

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
1) Why is it that the insturctions for dishwashing tablets, all 3
brands that I checked, say to put the tablet in the "main dispenser"?
And which is the "main dispenser"? They are the same size. How am I
know to know which is main and which isn't?

Is it the one that dispenses first? I've figured out which one that
is, but I'll be most people don't even think about it. And although
which that is is clear, somehow it seems counter-intuitive to me (not
counter-logical, just counter intuitive. And why should the one that
dispenses first be considered the main one. And which of the cups is
the main one?

2) I got some free-offer electrosol Dishwasher tablet a few years
ago, and finally used most of them. I also had a full box of powder
that I had to use before going to buy more of something.

By this time, neither Electrol nor Cascade sold the same kind of
tablets. Now they are already part liquid and come in a water soluble
bag, and they warn you not to handle the bags with wet fingers. This
was too much for me so I bought the house brand (Food Lion) They are
still tablets like Electrosol used to sell. But they don't have 2
colors (seemingly two ingredients) like the old Electrosol. I wonder
if they are as good. I wonder if the new semi-liquid things are
better. Anyone know?

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)