Dan Caster

Default OT-I ain't No senator's son...

He did not go AWOL. He did pretty much the same thing I did. I
joined the Navy as a reservist and was obligated for two years active
service and six years in the reserve. Before I finished the two years
active service, the Armed services ran out of money and was letting
everyone out two months early. I did not get out the full two months
early as I was overseas on a destroyer. After I got out, I was
suppose to join a reserve unit and attend weekly meetings. But I was
in college at the time and never got around to joining a unit. Partly
because I really needed to have a car to get to the meetings. After
college I moved across country and after a year or so, I got a call to
join a reserve unit that was about thirty or forty miles away. But
before they got serious about having me join, I moved again to Alaska
( to an Airforce Satelite tracking station ). The nearest reserve
unit was probably about a hundred miles away as the airplane flies ,
but no road. When I left Alaska, I only had about six more months of
obligated time. And the Navy was not interested in having me join for
just six months.

Bush got authorized to not attend reserve meetings while he worked on
a political campaign. After the campaign was over , he only had a few
months more time and since there were no pressing need for the
reserves, no one really cared if he attended meetings.

I know I saved the U.S. a bunch of money by not ever attending any
reserve meetings. But I would have been there if there had been
anything that needed me to be on active duty. Bush probably saved the
government even more. Those Jet fighters are expensive to fly with
all the maintenance in addition to the fuel.
But G.W. and I were never AWOL ( Well except for the time I didn't
make it back to the ship on time, but that is another story ).

Dan

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

GEORGE W. BUSH
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20520

Military:

I joined the Texas Air National Guard and went AWOL. I refused to take a
drug test or answer any questions about my drug use. By joining the Texas
Air National Guard, I was able to avoid combat duty in Vietnam.