Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Is it worth a career change? Part 2

My two cents worth. By the way I grew up in a family that ran a small
business and do not estimate the amount of time it can consume. On the
other hand, if it is something you enjoy, it is very fulfilling.

....................if I buy the business, part of the deal
would be to show me the ropes for a few months.

Base on some of your questions, I think buying an existing business with a
WRITTEN agreement that the owner will train you might be a good idea,

Does anyone know where to find suppliers?

Answer above.
Where to turners usually buy their wood? (I'm not a turner.)

Anwer above. However, a lot of turners cut their own wood and dry it.

Do a lot of you use mail-order or internet ordering?

I have never ordered wood from the internet and do not plan to do so. Most
I have seen on internet sites is priced above local. This does not include
the true exotics. The only source in our area (Wichita, KS) is a small
business and I am not sure they still handle true exotics.

Is exotic woods next on Home Depot's expansion plans?

I wouldn't worry about that. HD and Lowes are absolutely the highest priced
places in our area to buy hardwood.

What's the mark-up on exotic lumber? How much just never gets sold
because it's "not pretty enough?"

Another reason you might consider buying the existing business. The owner
will provide this info.

RonB