Backlash

Default Home made heat treat oven information

A little of both. You might be able to use S7 high shock tool steel, but
hell, some engine cranks are cast material, some forged.

RJ

--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of you."

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Are you making tools, or are you making something that needs to be tough?

am also interested in building a heat-treat furnace similar to what Roy
wants, but it is for things like small crankshafts that will be receiving

pounding. Over hardened steel would just snap.

"Backlash" wrote in message
Roy, I do a lot of emergency machining and repair work, and have found

that
if air-hardening A2 tool steel is used, an even heat to glowing red from

torch, air cooling, followed by a tempering with the torch works just

fine.
Scale is buffed off, beadblasted, or left as is. I have a foot-powered
turntable to apply the heat as evenly as possible by spinning the part
slowly while heating. I probably do a hundred or more small parts a year
like this with great success.

RJ

--
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me, instead of

you."

"Roy" wrote in message
Anyone have any plans or ideas on making a home made heat treat oven
of say 10 x 12 x 15 inches or so in size? Electrical operated and
running off 220 preferably, definately no propane powered furnace is
wanted.

I looked in the drop box fro such a project but have not seen any,.
but then again I may have missed one that is in there. Anyhow anyone
with any info on making a heat treat oven thats out there, I certainly
would appreciate some insight.

I have 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inch insulated fire brick that I plan to use for
th liner / insulation and fit these inside a bent sheet steel box
hopefully. Not looking to make a huyge oven just something to heat
treat a few small items from time to time.

Any info appreciated.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.