Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Using #14 wire for one light on 20A breaker

In article , wrote:

I'm just curious how the
code views that?

As a violation.

For example, if I but a common house type ceiling
fixture, they generally have 8 inches or up to several feet (on a
chandlier) of #14 standed wire as part of the fixture. So, if I am
running a 20A circuit I am already using #14 in the circuit.

Fixture wires generally have a much higher temperature rating than supply
wires, which enables them to carry higher current on smaller wires.

--
Regards,