Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair
news.rcn.com news.rcn.com is offline

Default re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

"Jack Denver" wrote in message
. ..

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

You could add a 208 / 220 circuit to the kitchen. Most kitchen
receptacles are split 240 - a voltmeter from hot to hot will show this.

My problem is that whichever of these options I use will be exceptionally
unsightly in my tiny kitchen which has already-over used power sockets: Is
there any way of arranging joining up the circuits so that this wouldn't be
unsightly?

BTW all sockets on the circuit to the kitchen are the same as all sockets
all around the living room and bedroom. Maybe they aren't 208? (this is
something I have been complaining about ever since we moved in: Every time
we try to turn the microwave on, all lights, televisions, computers etc go
off all over the flat as the fuse trips!

There is a possibility that the cooker has a 208 volt supply somewhere near
it: The building does have 208v at the A/C units at the OTHER end of the
living room.

I DO have one of those transformers but again it is huge and there is
nowhere in the kitchen to put it. The alternative is to put the espresso
unit somewhere near the transformer in the living room but as this would be
nowhere near the water supply, this is also impractical.

Is there really any difference between this unit and a Baby?

Some are, some ain't - depends on how old the kitchen is and the
electrician's customary way of wiring.

DON'T try to cheat with two plugs - this is a fool killer.

As long as you stay away from the prongs of the 2nd plug after you plug in
the first you should be ok. That's a big if.

You COULD (I suppose) wire a cable to one of those 2 to 6 outlet
adaptors and get the voltage that way (I've contemplated that).

Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Wouldn't make any difference - 50 hz. machines will run just fine on 60
hz. and vice versa - the slight difference in speed does not affect the
performance significantly.