Posted to alt.coffee,sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Are you sure it isn't 50 cycle?

Most likely it's 230 volts 50 Hz (cycle). I think the only country in the
world with standard outlets being 240 volts is Australia, and I'm not
sure about that.

England standardized on 240 volts, Europe on 220. Israel on 230 so you
could use either. Since then all of the E.U. has standardized to 230,
the U.K going down, the rest of Europe going up.

Unless it has a timer in it, it will work just as well on 240v/60 Hz, from
a U.S. outlet. Probably a lot better than trying to get a transformer to
convert the voltage up. A coffee maker generally uses 1500 watts, and
a home transformer loses about 15%-20% in the process of converting it.

If you want a really good home machine look at the Sunbeam line. I don't
know if they are sold in the U.S. There was a TV series called "Living
Coffee" by Paul Basset (or Bassett, I'm not sure), which was done by
the Austrailian Broadcasting Company and shown on food networks in the
U.S.

He won an award for being the best "barista" (coffee maker at an espresso bar)
and worked with Sunbeam on the design of their machines and marketing them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/