Posted to rec.woodworking
SimonLW SimonLW is offline

Default Old house, x-large register vents...

"Locutus" wrote in message
So I am rehabbing this house (built approx 1930), doing the finishing trim
now. I go to put the store bought register vents in the front room, and
the original vent "holes" are 3 1/4" out from the baseboard, all of the
vent covers available now (that I could find) are only 3 inches deep....
needless to say this leaves 1/4" of exposed duct.

After a trip to all of the local stores, I figure I am going to have to
make my own.

Found some clear pine in the scrap bin, some gutter leaf screen in the
shed, a can of black spray paint, and got to work.....

http://arms.tacticalinnovations.com/register-vent2.jpg (finish looks a
little weird in this image, I am guessing it's the flash)

That is with the first application of rubbing oil, will need a couple more
applications to match that trimwork.

http://arms.tacticalinnovations.com/register-vent.jpg (please excuse the
dirty floor and poor image quality!)

One thing I am not that happy about is that you can see the grey duct work
through the screen if you look straight down, so I will probably add some
sort of air deflector inside to hide it...

Like the stones sang...
"I see a red door and I want to paint it.......