Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old house, x-large register vents...

So I am rehabbing this house (built approx 1930), doing the finishing trim
now. I go to put the store bought register vents in the front room, and the
original vent "holes" are 3 1/4" out from the baseboard, all of the vent
covers available now (that I could find) are only 3 inches deep.... needless
to say this leaves 1/4" of exposed duct.

After a trip to all of the local stores, I figure I am going to have to make
my own.

Found some clear pine in the scrap bin, some gutter leaf screen in the shed,
a can of black spray paint, and got to work.....

http://arms.tacticalinnovations.com/register-vent2.jpg (finish looks a
little weird in this image, I am guessing it's the flash)

That is with the first application of rubbing oil, will need a couple more
applications to match that trimwork.

http://arms.tacticalinnovations.com/register-vent.jpg (please excuse the
dirty floor and poor image quality!)

One thing I am not that happy about is that you can see the grey duct work
through the screen if you look straight down, so I will probably add some
sort of air deflector inside to hide it...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Old guy" wrote in message
Or spray paint the inside of the visible duct work black

That is what we do at the HVAC shop I work for. Use flat black paint and the
duct will "disappear".
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:10:23 -0500, "Locutus"
wrote:

[...]

I'm vaguely familiar with this - on my house it's the cold air returns
that are a wood lattice that I've never seen in a store. When I moved
in year ago, only 1 of three was still good. And the biggest of the
three was missing altogether. Needless to say I built my own.

Good luck with yours. I'd paint the inside black, but I also like the
air deflector idea to hide the ductwork anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
[...]

Like the stones sang...
"I see a red door and I want to paint it.......

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SimonLW" wrote in message

Like the stones sang...
"I see a red door and I want to paint it.......

What is that supposed to mean?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:09:33 -0500, "Locutus"
wrote:

"SimonLW" wrote in message

Like the stones sang...
"I see a red door and I want to paint it.......

What is that supposed to mean?

"I see a red door and I want to paint it black"

He wants the OP to paint the ductwork.