Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

Sun, Dec 10, 2006, 1:25am (EST+5)
(George*Max) doth sayeth:
O.K., works for you. It'll probably work for anyone. Even me.
After 20 years of dorking around with wood, I still haven't found a
need. Yet. I just think it's pretty time consuming. I already waste a
lot of time on other things. snip

Yup, works for me. Probably work for anyone - IF they wanted to do
it that way. But that's up to them. If I was doing this for a living
I'd be doing a LOT of things different. Probably still do a few the
same, but most not. However, I don't pay my bills that way, so I don't
ve to be very efficient, if I don't want to be, and definitely don't
have to work under a time constraint. So, if I take 15 minutes to do
something my way, when I could do it in 5 another way, I'll probably
stick with my way - because I like to. It's a hobby. I don't have to
work fast, or efficiently - can't work too fast any more anyway, bad
joints. However, I spent a lot of time as a kid helping my grandfather.
Most people nowadays would call him a master carpenter - and a Hell of a
lot better than Norm he was - but correctly he was a journeyman. He
made some outstanding stuff, with just a tablesaw and some hand tools,
and I picked up a lot from him. I could be a lot more efficient if I
wanted to, but by the time I figure out just what type of a jig I need,
and just how I want it done, then to actually do it, I've usually wasted
more time then I've saved. But that's part of the fun.

JOAT
I am, therefore I think.