Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre Henry St.Pierre is offline

Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls

"cad" wrote in news:1165410030.547015.293430@
16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

I have a dozen or so spalted red oak blanks I harvested and waxed about
a 9 mts ago. I notice now that anywhere there is wax on them, it is
turning jet black underneath the wax layer.

Are they ebonizing on their own?

cad
handturnedbowls.biz

wrote:
When you ebonize wood, you are working with the tanins that naturally
occur in wood. I doubt it's any more or less harmful than the wood was
to begin with.

FYI, the steel wool is a help with wood with fewer tanins like maple,
oak will ebonize without it. I'd love to see a pic of the finished
product, I've not yet gotten around to ebonizing. I do have a really
bad article on it here somewhere.

Spalt.