Woodturning (rec.crafts.woodturning) To discuss tools, techniques, styles, materials, shows and competitions, education and educational materials related to woodturning. All skill levels are welcome, from art turners to production turners, beginners to masters.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls

I used vinegar after soaking steel wool in it and it created a nice
color on a little oak bowl now used for wrapped candy. Has anybody
heard of any health problems from ebonizing an oak bowl using vinegar
and steel wool, covering the bowl with mineral oil and then using the
bowl for eating salad? When I searched this site using 'ebonizing' I
was not able to find discussions about health concerns with vinegar
and steel wool. Thanks.

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls

When you ebonize wood, you are working with the tanins that naturally
occur in wood. I doubt it's any more or less harmful than the wood was
to begin with.

FYI, the steel wool is a help with wood with fewer tanins like maple,
oak will ebonize without it. I'd love to see a pic of the finished
product, I've not yet gotten around to ebonizing. I do have a really
bad article on it here somewhere.

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 510
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls


I'd like to see a picture of ebonized Oak you do without iron, would be
amazing !!!!!

Now when this does not work with the aid of iron in wood like Ash, you
could try bringing in tannin by steeping it in strong thee, then use
the vinegar/iron mix.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

woodturningcreature wrote:

FYI, the steel wool is a help with wood with fewer tanins like maple,
oak will ebonize without it. I'd love to see a pic of the finished
product, I've not yet gotten around to ebonizing. I do have a really
bad article on it here somewhere.


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cad cad is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls

I have a dozen or so spalted red oak blanks I harvested and waxed about
a 9 mts ago. I notice now that anywhere there is wax on them, it is
turning jet black underneath the wax layer.

Are they ebonizing on their own?

cad
handturnedbowls.biz

wrote:
When you ebonize wood, you are working with the tanins that naturally
occur in wood. I doubt it's any more or less harmful than the wood was
to begin with.

FYI, the steel wool is a help with wood with fewer tanins like maple,
oak will ebonize without it. I'd love to see a pic of the finished
product, I've not yet gotten around to ebonizing. I do have a really
bad article on it here somewhere.


  #5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,407
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls


"cad" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a dozen or so spalted red oak blanks I harvested and waxed about
a 9 mts ago. I notice now that anywhere there is wax on them, it is
turning jet black underneath the wax layer.

Are they ebonizing on their own?


Mildew.



  #6   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls


warpedwoodturner wrote:
I used vinegar after soaking steel wool in it and it created a nice
color on a little oak bowl now used for wrapped candy. Has anybody
heard of any health problems from ebonizing an oak bowl using vinegar
and steel wool, covering the bowl with mineral oil and then using the
bowl for eating salad? When I searched this site using 'ebonizing' I
was not able to find discussions about health concerns with vinegar
and steel wool. Thanks.




Nice work on the ebonizing. I'm just going to have to try that sooner
or later.

  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 622
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls

cad wrote:
I have a dozen or so spalted red oak blanks I harvested and waxed about
a 9 mts ago. I notice now that anywhere there is wax on them, it is
turning jet black underneath the wax layer.

Are they ebonizing on their own?

cad
handturnedbowls.biz


CAD ... I'm no expert (certainly not at this distance!) but it sounds as
if the trapped moisture is sporting a very nice fungal growth.

Bill

.....
I like America, just as everybody else does. I love America, I gotta say
that. But America will be judged.
Bob Dylan
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default any health hazards with ebonizied oak bowls

"cad" wrote in news:1165410030.547015.293430@
16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

I have a dozen or so spalted red oak blanks I harvested and waxed about
a 9 mts ago. I notice now that anywhere there is wax on them, it is
turning jet black underneath the wax layer.

Are they ebonizing on their own?

cad
handturnedbowls.biz

wrote:
When you ebonize wood, you are working with the tanins that naturally
occur in wood. I doubt it's any more or less harmful than the wood was
to begin with.

FYI, the steel wool is a help with wood with fewer tanins like maple,
oak will ebonize without it. I'd love to see a pic of the finished
product, I've not yet gotten around to ebonizing. I do have a really
bad article on it here somewhere.



Spalt.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fire hazards with oil finishes Greg D. Woodworking 33 October 30th 06 01:32 PM
Radiation hazards from inefficient microwave oven? [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 September 13th 06 04:17 AM
Question on fitting 1/8" solid oak trim to oak plywood Dick Snyder Woodworking 9 January 30th 06 11:05 PM
Any Asbestos Hazards in Ceramic Baseboard Adhesive? Buck Turgidson Home Repair 3 January 25th 06 03:08 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"