Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
"Mike O." wrote in message

Besides, parallel edges/faces are not in the job description for a

jointer.

That's why you rip them first.

My experience is that in 35+years of cabinet making I've never found it
necessary to use a jointer to "clean up the edges" of any sawcuts I've made
when dimensioning stock for a project ... and particularly those made when
dimensioning stock for "rails and stiles".

Agree completely -- if any cleaning up is needed, the first thing to do is
check for problems at the table saw, e.g. misalignment, damaged blade, etc.

With my always "batch cut" rails and stiles, I prefer that there be no
further "dimensioning" of my carefully ripped to width stock, no matter how
small, that would result from running them unnecessarily over a jointer.

And any cleanup that might be needed should be done, not with a jointer, but
by ganging half a dozen pieces on edge through the *planer*.

--
Regards,