Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

Mike O. wrote:
BTW, I've never seen ANY blade (and I've used most brands) that will
leave as good an edge as sharp joiner knives or a hand plane will.

My Powermatic joiner is properly set up with the knife height set with
Ed Bennetts TS-Aligner Jr. My blades are sharp, but I still get a
scalloped edge that requires much more sanding to clean up than the cut
left by my Freud Glue Line Rip blade on my tablesaw. I won't argue
that a hand plane leaves a smoother edge than either. I much prefer
using the cut edge from the table saw than a jointed edge. I still use
my jointer to give me a reference edge to go against the saw fence, but
I usually end up ripping that edge away before I'm done.

DonkeyHody
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there." - Will Rogers