Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

"Mike O." wrote in message

Besides, parallel edges/faces are not in the job description for a

jointer.

That's why you rip them first.

My experience is that in 35+years of cabinet making I've never found it
necessary to use a jointer to "clean up the edges" of any sawcuts I've made
when dimensioning stock for a project ... and particularly those made when
dimensioning stock for "rails and stiles".

With my always "batch cut" rails and stiles, I prefer that there be no
further "dimensioning" of my carefully ripped to width stock, no matter how
small, that would result from running them unnecessarily over a jointer.

And my Freud Glue-Line rip blade will consistently leave as good as edge

as
is necessary for any woodworking endeavor, if for some reason I feel my
Forrest WWII won't suffice.

But, if you wipe a wet finger across that edge you will find the
remnants of hairline kerf marks. At some point in your building
process I'm sure you address those.

But, I believe that you should try to keep your fingers out of your mouth in
the shop.

Your mileage may obviously vary ...

Obviously, it does.:-)

Probably due to the fact that my holy grail/focus when cabinet making is
"square", not stock free of "hairline kerf marks".

I might suggest that not that long ago, before we had the quality of
blades we have today, every rail and stile made was either run through
a joiner to remove kerf marks or attacked by a hand plane.

You may suggest, but before I'd take it as gospel I'd prefer to see your
qualifications for making the assertion?

Another thing to note is that in any cabinet manufacturing facility
that I've been through, sawed edges are addressed in some similar
manner. While rails and stiles are cut with a computerized saw, the
material edges are cleaned up in some way prior to assembly by either
a big automated joiner or planer or some type of sander. A sawed edge
is never the final edge.

To that, I'd say that you need to get out to a few more cabinet shops.

IMO the joiner is used less and less because people are afraid to use
it, don't know how to use it and/or don't know how to set one up.
While today's blades may (for some) eliminate the need to join edges,
the process has been done since the first block plane and then when
some guy figured out how to get the blade from his plane spinning fast
enough, it was done with a joiner.
Some of us are still doing it.

I will take that as stated ... and opinion to which you are certainly
entitled, and nothing more. My opinion is that it is not the case.

... 'nuff said.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06