Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Holes through floor joists for 10/2?

Toller wrote:
So far I have run 3 new circuits from the breaker box on one side of the
house to the workshop and garage on the other. I have to run a 4th.

What hole size is recommended for 10/2 in floor joists? I alway drill the
smallest possible hole to minimize weakening the joists and then pulling the
cable is an ordeal.
Is it necessary to keep the holes any distance from existing holes, or am I
making too much out of this?

Best to drill joists in center of the joist depth, never in the center
1/3 of the span and 6" or mare from the bearing ends

Max hole size is 1/3 the joist depth & min edge distance is 2"

From the Inrenational Residential Code 2003 Edition, Chapter 5 Floors,

Section R502.8.1 Sawn Lumber:

"The diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed
one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2
inches to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located
in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be
closer than 2 inches to the notch."

Now as to multiple holes...hmmm... a single large hole would easilt
accomdate all but not after they're already there.

If you're gutsy, careful & lucky you could enlarge an existing hole
with the wire still in place OR remove the wire & hole sawa bigger
hole OR just drill another hole....I'd want at least 2 or 3 hole
diameters of "meat" between the holes...if my thinking is correct 1"
holes could be drilled 3 or 4" apart (min) seems resonable

IMO the single large hole is looking better & better

this code passage says 2" minimum "meat" between holes...my concept
depends on hole diameter...I like mine better...... code passage
allows 3" holes in a 2x10 with only 2" of meat between them ...that
makes me nervous

cheers
Bob