Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Powermatic 3520b compared to Vega 2600-Inv

Arch wrote:
Hi Bob,

snip...
In many home-hobby woodshops pictured on the net, the lathe's cost,
weight, power and swing seem unnecessarily high for what it's mostly(!!!!)
used for and relative to the other power tools that enable it.

....snip

I'm glad you said 'mostly' -- because when that really large log finds
its way onto the bed of my truck, I like having a way to deal with it,
even if it is not an everyday occurrence.

Also, I find that the delicate finials and lace bobbins I turn on my
large lathe turn out better and are easier to do than if they were done
on a mini lathe. And, when I go for a suction fit box lid, even for a
small box, the large lathe gives me a leg up on getting the fit right.

Bill