Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 13:34:17 -0500, J T wrote:

Fri, Dec 8, 2006, 9:16am (EST-1) (George Max) doth
query:
Did you read my whole message?
I quote: "or you otherwise use any clever jigs or other contraptions
snip

Yep, read it. Except, I consider a planer sled a basic accessory,
and not a clever jig, or contraption.

So how long does it take you to adjust your planer sled for each board?

I have an 8' sled and to adjust it for an 8' board it takes about 2 minutes.
Then it is good to go for how ever many passes it takes. Shorter boards
take proportionally less time. My sled is also good for boards up to about
14". Not many people can afford a jointer to handle boards as wide as their
planer.
While using a jointer may be a little quicker on smaller boards there is a
greater advantage in time on longer and wider boards when using a TS and
Planer.