Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

"George" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Mike O." wrote in message

uniform stack of material waiting for assembly. The reference fence
is still on the table saw but a properly tuned joiner will remove
material consistently along the board's edge therefore maintaining
uniformity.

My experience is entirely different ... and my jointer is properly

tuned.

The only way _I_ can guarantee that opposite edges are parallel is to

rip
an
opposite edge on a "properly tuned" table saw ... even the best set up
jointer simply will not guarantee that, IME.

Learn to use your jointer.

Look up above and learn to read.

It removes, when properly used, the same amount
of material all along the length of the board. Its "fence" is the outfeed
table, remaining a constant distance above the infeed throughout, just as
your tablesaw blade remains a constant distance from that fence. Only
difference is the jointer is capable of taking out bow which might result
from new tensioning of the narrower board as well.

It's your woodworker's eye reading the board you're ripping that warns you
when it might be necessary to rip two passes oversize. Sometimes even
that's not enough.

FACT: If you are attempting to use a jointer to obtain parallel edges/faces,
you are misusing the tool.

While you are not a big enough fool to argue that point, as above, you will
step to the edge of doing so even though you DO know better.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06