Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default What wood for spoon?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Toller" wrote:
I have a large wooden cooking spoon. Nothing happens to it when you toss
it in the dishwasher (other then getting clean...), but it is maybe 10 years
old and starting to show its age.
I made one out of walnut, but it gets pretty ratty after one washing.

What wood is good for this purpose? The one I have looks like ash, but is
probably some Asian wood.

Beech is the standard.

Yes. Beech is tough and resists checking which is important
for something that going to be repeatedly wetted. Pearwood
is good, probably many other orchard woods.

You can probably make any wooden spoon last longer by
using pure tung oil on it (and waiting for it to harden before
suing it) and by NOT putting it in the dishwasher.

Roy Underhill used to make a lot spoons and says he often
used cottonwood. One of his guests showed a spoon made
from poison ivy. I recommend against that choice.

--

FF