Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:09:37 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

A jointer is NOT correctly used to clean up after a TS rip cut. To maintain
uniform width you need a reference fence. If you saw does not leave a shiny
smooth edge consider spending $100 for a premium quality blade and read a
book on tuning up your TS.

I guess we'll have to disagree here Leon.
If you have a well tuned saw and a well tuned joiner you can rip rails
and stiles for an entire kitchen, join the edges and have a quite
uniform stack of material waiting for assembly. The reference fence
is still on the table saw but a properly tuned joiner will remove
material consistently along the board's edge therefore maintaining
uniformity. I have a good number of quality blades but would never
consider making face frames or doors without a joiner.

BTW, I've never seen ANY blade (and I've used most brands) that will
leave as good an edge as sharp joiner knives or a hand plane will.

Mike O.