Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Powermatic 3520b compared to Vega 2600-Inv

Hi Bob,

More musing than responding, but I suspect you might have a delayed case
of the 'two year itch' which many of us have suffered. Some recovered,
some didn't. I mean the itch to buy something new. A trophy lathe to
replace your ole tried, true and comfortable machine instead of
upgrading it. This happens in other situations, but it often takes seven
years.

Just my opinion, but excepting the advent of excellent mini lathes, I
think for the _average hobby turner_ the five most significant
improvements in lathes since the 'turning enlightenment and reformation'
have been revolving tail centers and ball or roller bearings, levered
lock-downs, swivelling headstocks, electronic variable speed and
_reasonable_ increases in swing. Not seldom used grotesque swing, not
unnecessarily high power and weight, Not even as a statement of success.
In many home-hobby woodshops pictured on the net, the lathe's cost,
weight, power and swing seem unnecessarily high for what it's mostly
used for and relative to the other power tools that enable it.

I am not denigrating the higher end machines, They certainly have their
place and purpose for the professional or the terminally addicted hobby
turner. Of course I would love to own one, but mainly for the personal
satisfaction of owning it, which although important is only one cure for
the 'two year itch'. I just need to make sure that the cure isn't worse
than the disease. YMMV.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter