Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael White Michael White is offline

Default Jointer or planer?

Which would you buy first if you could only buy one. Either of these
would be in the $400 range not the high end pro models, at least not
yet. Thanks!

I bought a planer because it's possible to use it as a jointer, and
it's possible to use your table saw as a jointer, and it's possible to
joint yer wood with a hand plane. There's lots of ways to flatten a
board but not many ways to get all your stock to a precise thickness
with both surfaces parallel.

But it didn't take me long to really, REALLY want a good 8 inch
jointer. I got a lot of use out of the planer alone but it sure is a
joy having both. 400 is not a bad price for a planer but I think the
kind of jointer you'd get for that will give you more frustration than
help. I paid a little over 700 for my Griz G0586. They're about 800
now.
In a jointer, length of bed really matters.

If I had it to do over I'd still buy the planer first and force myself
to wait till I could afford a longbed jointer, or find one used.
Usually in hindsight I'd make changes but in that instance I still
think I did it right.

Agreed. You can pick up a decent DeWalt planer for around $400. I went the
cheap route with a jointer, and it pretty much sits and gathers (saw)dust.
I end up using my radial arm saw for any large jointing, and my router
table for any small work.

BTW, Craftsman 6 1/4" jointer for sale. $80 OBO. Lightly used. In Ft.
Worth, Texas.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer