Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default What wood for spoon?

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:35:40 +0000, Toller wrote:

I have a large wooden cooking spoon. Nothing happens to it when you toss
it in the dishwasher (other then getting clean...), but it is maybe 10 years
old and starting to show its age.
I made one out of walnut, but it gets pretty ratty after one washing.

What wood is good for this purpose? The one I have looks like ash, but is
probably some Asian wood.

Hereabouts I'd go by the two yards in the area with a
reasonable stock of exotics and explain what I was about and obtain some
cutoffs of everything they have, make a sample out of each (not a spoon,
just cut them to a standard size and run them through the planer), toss
them all in the diswasher and see what survived best, then plug the FPL
database and see if they had any toxicity information and once I'd figured
out what to use get a board and have at it.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate