Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Speakers

In article ,
mike wrote:
Que? if one is wired one way, and the other the other way they will be
180 deg out of phase with each other, and the result will be a loss of
low frequencies (very technical explaination skipped, bu I can post it
if you want), but both wired backwards makes no odds on most speakers.

I think Dave is quite right on this; the problem is that real sounds are
asymmetrical - consult any trumpet and oscilloscope.

So although there would be no audible difference on sine waves, any
other sounds would be turned upside down, and golden ears can hear
this. I confess I never could, but nevertheless was made to keep the
phase right from source to direction of music of the speaker cone, as
any purist broadcasting organisation, if there are any left, would

Just not so, since you're not dealing with an electrical signal but sound
pressure waves. So called absolute phase is another myth.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.