Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Knob & Tube and Cloth Shielded Wiring

Chris Friesen wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

You are simply wrong. The NEC agrees with me. Its dangerous and
illegal to use
cold water pipes for a ground, and has been for many years. You are a
twit.

The CEC on the other hand explicitly allows (and in some cases mandates)
grounding via metal cold water pipe.

In fact, if you have at least 10ft metal piping buried deep enough then
it *must* be used as the service grounding electrode. This is
acceptable without any additional artificial electrodes.

If the above is not available, we can also use a metal well casing,
ground rods (at least 2), or concrete encased electrode under the
building footings.

Chris

Contrary to Charlie, the US-NEC rule is almost identical. The depth
("deep enough") doesn't matter. And the NEC requires a "supplemental"
electrode only because a metal underground water pipe may be replaed by
plastic at some time in the future.

The NEC does not generally allow connecting grounds to water pipes
except within 5 feet of the water service entrance, which may be what
Charlie is picking up.

--
bud--