Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Trying to make sense of wiring...

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:28:09 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 6 Dec 2006 09:58:42 -0800, "N8N" wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

I am hanging a ceiling fan and found the following when I dropped the
light:

OK I have not really thought this out, so this is just a quick
non-certified reply.

It appears to be a light with pass through power and a switch line.

There appears to be an error in that all three grounds should have been
connected (and attached to the box). A second possible error may be the
lack of remarking the color of the wire to the switch. I seem to recall
that current code requires marking the ends of the wire in this case.

It does, but I believe that that is a recent addition to the code so it
may not have been a violation when the work was done.

nate

This house (built around 1969) has several switch loops, none of which
are marked. also the 240V circuits use ordinary 10/2 Romex
(black/white/bare), and aren't marked either.

Just put a strip of tape (red or black) around the end of any white
wires used for switch legs whenever you find them so future generations
aren't confused. no problem.

That would mean removing ceiling light fixtures (since that's the way
this place is wired), but I should be able to do that.

I didn't mean that you should mark everything in the house now; just if
you are working on something and determine that there's an unmarked
switch leg, it only takes a few minutes to mark it. Obviously you are
now aware that there *are* switch legs, so you'll be looking for them in
the future and will be aware that some white colored wires may be "hot."

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel