Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Chainsaw advice

In article ,
Don Murray wrote:

robo hippy wrote:
I got a Husky with a 24 inch bar and was told that I could put a
28 inch bar on it. I am amazed at how many times I have wanted a 36
inch bar, and am considering one some time in the future.
robo hippy

I'm curious to know how you guys use these huge chainsaws. Where do you
go to cut wood with these? Do you have wood delivered to cut? What kind
of wood are you cutting?

My last saw was an 18, often way to short, which is way the Husky is a 20

You also need to consider where people live. Robo and I live in "tall
tree" country. I cut down 4ft (diameter) tree's just to build the house,
and those had grown up in the years since the loggers came through,
twice. The guys in my tree service told me they cut a grove of
old-growth a couple years ago (the ground was too steep to recover them
as logs). The trees were 6 feet at the base and so tight they used
actual jack hammers to split them (all Doug Fir/Hemlock/etc).

A friend has a Big-Leaf Maple that must be 5 foot across

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv