Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

I used to hear that the suicide rate in Seattle was the highest in the
country, but I thought it was because of the weather

"volts500" wrote in message
ps.com...
RS wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. Yes the treadmill is a PRO model - it's
a Sole F85! The wires are concealed and the distance from the circuit
breaker for the 2 wall will be approximately 10 feet and 17 feet. Also
the electrician mentioned getting a permit from the city electric board
- I wasn't aware we had to do that!

Rashmi

(RS wrote:
Hi
I just moved to Seattle and we bought a treadmill which we've kept in
the garage. Now the garage has a 15amp circuit but the treadmill needs
a 20 amp one. We asked an electrician to give us a quote to change from
15 to 20 and he has quoted $600 for the wall closet to the door and
$900 for a wall further.

I am novice at this, could someone tell me what would be a good price
to pay for this?

Thanks
Rashmi

I gotta tell ya, at first I thought you were being raked over the coals
by that contractor, but after viewing the website for Seattle's
Building Dept.:

https://egov1.seattle.gov/dpd/Online...WhatKindOfWork

Indeed, any electrical work short of replacing a switch, receptacle,
ballast, or fuse requires an electrical permit in Seattle!

That explains the ridiculous prices that you were quoted. Try to get
some more bids to see if that price is in the ballpark for your area.
In my area $300(US) will get one a 20 amp circuit anywhere in any
house.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.