Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

RS wrote:

Thank you for all the replies. Yes the treadmill is a PRO model - it's
a Sole F85! The wires are concealed and the distance from the circuit
breaker for the 2 wall will be approximately 10 feet and 17 feet. Also
the electrician mentioned getting a permit from the city electric board
- I wasn't aware we had to do that!

Rashmi

Jeepers, a 3.5 HP motor for a one person treadmill?

Hard to believe, but that's what they claim:

http://www.soletreadmills.com/details.php?name=F85

I bet that's the same "peak starting" horsepower "BS" claimed for many
cheap air compressors and some vacuum cleaners too.

3.5 HP is 2611 watts (at 100% efficiency no less). You can't take that
much continuously from a 20 amp 120 volt circuit without popping the
breaker.

Before you spend money on new wiring I'd suggest you find someone with
an ac ammeter, plug the treadmill into your present 15 amp circuit, and
have them measure the actual current it's drawing when during typical
usage. At worst you'll pop the breaker if my assumption about that
horsepower "hype" is incorrect.

You might just be pleasantly suprised to find out it never draws enough
current to overload a 15 amp circuit.

If it does, then spend the money on new wiring.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia