Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

In article .com, "RS" wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. Yes the treadmill is a PRO model - it's
a Sole F85! The wires are concealed and the distance from the circuit
breaker for the 2 wall will be approximately 10 feet and 17 feet.

Since the wires are concealed, he's going to have to open up the wall at some
point -- which means repairing it after he's done. His quote seems a bit steep
to me, though, even accounting for that. I wonder if he considered running the
new cable up from the breaker panel to the attic over the garage (assuming you
*have* an attic up there!), and from there back down to wherever you want the
outlet. That should be less expensive, even though it takes more wire, because
there won't be nearly as much labor in opening up walls and repairing
afterward.

Also
the electrician mentioned getting a permit from the city electric board
- I wasn't aware we had to do that!

In most cities, it's the contractor's responsibility to get the permit, not
the homeowner's.

--
Regards,