Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Trying to make sense of wiring...

On 6 Dec 2006 09:58:42 -0800, "N8N" wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
I am hanging a ceiling fan and found the following when I dropped the
light:

OK I have not really thought this out, so this is just a quick
non-certified reply.

It appears to be a light with pass through power and a switch line.

There appears to be an error in that all three grounds should have been
connected (and attached to the box). A second possible error may be the
lack of remarking the color of the wire to the switch. I seem to recall
that current code requires marking the ends of the wire in this case.

It does, but I believe that that is a recent addition to the code so it
may not have been a violation when the work was done.

nate

This house (built around 1969) has several switch loops, none of which
are marked. also the 240V circuits use ordinary 10/2 Romex
(black/white/bare), and aren't marked either.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."