Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

On 6 Dec 2006 15:38:27 -0800, "RS" wrote:

Hi
I just moved to Seattle and we bought a treadmill which we've kept in
the garage. Now the garage has a 15amp circuit but the treadmill needs
a 20 amp one. We asked an electrician to give us a quote to change from
15 to 20 and he has quoted $600 for the wall closet to the door and
$900 for a wall further.

I am novice at this, could someone tell me what would be a good price
to pay for this?

Thanks
Rashmi

You might be able to do it yourself. The first thing you should do
(with the power off) is pull out the receptacle. If it has #12 wire
then changing the outlet and the breaker is all that is needed. You
should also find out what does not work with the power off.

A treadmill is something you don't need to use if anything else is on
the circuit that carries a big load.

If you have #14 gauge wire then you might still be able to use the
treadmill by only changing the receptacle. You should not change the
breaker in this case.

---
9 out of 10 dentists agree that 1 out of 10 dentists are morons.