Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

RS wrote:
Hi
I just moved to Seattle and we bought a treadmill which we've kept in
the garage. Now the garage has a 15amp circuit but the treadmill needs
a 20 amp one. We asked an electrician to give us a quote to change from
15 to 20 and he has quoted $600 for the wall closet to the door and
$900 for a wall further.

I am novice at this, could someone tell me what would be a good price
to pay for this?

Thanks
Rashmi

It's not at all possible to even guess at an answer to that question.
If there is a circuit breaker panel in the garage and the garage walls
are unfinished, I would say that's way too much. On the otherhand, if
the breaker panel is in the house and he has to fish cable through the
attic and walls, it might be a reasonable price.

If the breaker panel is in the house, I would consider spending some
extra money and running a heavy cable to the garage and installing a
new breaker panel in the garage. While you are at it, you might want to
considering adding a provision for future wiring to a backyard shed.