Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to make sense of wiring...

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am hanging a ceiling fan and found the following when I dropped the
light:

1) There are 3 romex cables coming into the box. I will call them A,
B and C.

2) Ground wires (bare): A & B are twisted together and loose in
box...each wire is about 3 inches long. C is grounded to box.

In addition to being grounded to the box the "C" grounding conductor should
also be connected to "A" and "B" as well as the grounding conductors from
the ceiling fan.

3) Black wires: A & B are twisted together and capped off with a wire
connector. They are pushed back in box (unconnected). C is twisted
together with B's white wire and connected to black wire from ceiling
light.

4) White wires: A & C are twisted together and connected to white wire
from ceiling light. As mentioned above, B is tied together with C's
black wire from C and connected to black wire from ceiling light.

Is this, which appears to me as a mess, correct? Should I: (a) hang my
ceiling fan and maintain the current wiring arrangement,

Yes if you want the fan to work just like the currently installed light
fixture, wire it the same way. Is the electrical box that currently
supports the existing light fixture rated for ceiling fans? If not then you
will need to remove it and install a fan brace and box. Make sure to
identify each conductor before taking them apart.

(b) use only
the wires on C and cap of A & B with wire connectors, or (c) call an
electrician?

Thanks.