Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Chainsaw advice

I need to add something. Both Husky and Stihl make multiple levels of
saws. There may be 3 -- consumer, 'rancher' and pro. My first saw was
a small, consumer grade Stihl and it was not much to write home about.
If was bulky about starting, etc. My current saw is a Shindiawa which
is super and starts on the first pull. You've probably never heard of
them because they don't make a consumer grade at all.

Also remember that you can cut a 30" log with a 20" bar -- you just have
to walk around it.

Bill

robo hippy wrote:
My favorite arborist uses Husky saws. I went to the local dealer, and
he said that you have 2 choices, a Husky, or a Sthil. Most of the
loggers I see use the Sthil, most of the arborists, and landscapers use
Husky. I got a Husky with a 24 inch bar and was told that I could put a
28 inch bar on it. I am amazed at how many times I have wanted a 36
inch bar, and am considering one some time in the future.
robo hippy
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
Test Tickle wrote:

Hey,

I am looking for a new chainsaw, as I'd like to start harvesting more
wood to feed the habit. I'd love to hear any advice you folks might
have. I know I want a gas powered saw, and I suppose it's better to
buy a longer bar rather than a shorter one -- my old 16 inch was a
little lacking sometimes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

tt

One of the "standard" recommendations is the Husquvarna Rancher 455. I
just bought mine, so I can't endorse that recommendation yet. But they
are sold at regular chain-saw outlets (where I got mine), plus Lowes and
Sears (warranty work is handled differently for Lowes and Sears)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv