Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mgkelson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Landscape Lights Dimming Towards End of Circuit

wrote:
Hi

I have recently installed 6 (35 Watt) landscape lights, on a 300 Watt
transformer.

It is 12 V AC, on about 50 meters of cable.

Light number 1 and 2 perform as expected.
Light number 2 is about 20 meter from the transformer.

Light number 3 - 6 is dim, but does not get progressively dimmer from 3
to 6.

Why would this be?

I am ruling out excessive voltage drop because light 3 and 6 is glowing
at the same brightness.

Could this be because of a short?

Thanks

Are all of the lights and sockets the same?

Have you tried switching or replacing the lights? You could, for
example, try switching lights 1 and 2 with lights 3 and 4. Actually,
you might want to try switch all of the 3 - 6 lights with the 1 and 2
lights.

What gauge of wire is used?

Is the gauge the same to all the lights?

Are the lights all wired in parallel?

What is the available voltage at each socket?

I think it could be possible, incidentally, that you could have a
partial short between lights 2 and 3. You could try running a jumper
cable (wire pair) from light number 2 to the rest of the lights. You
would have to disconnect the existing connection between 2 and 3 to do
this.