Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default PVC for air

Frank Stutzman wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
Frank Stutzman wrote in
:

I did my air in black iron pipe, mostly because of the dangers of
exploding PVC as already mentioned by other posters. In hindsight,
I'm wondering if I might have done better with PVC.

You're better without the PVC. If for nothing else but it allowing
you to be lazy.

And you are implying that there is something wrong with being lazy?

Besides allowing me to be lazy, the PVC would also allow me to be
cheap. Cheap AND lazy. Be still my beating heart ;-)

All of my lines are in the walls of my shop. There is 1/2 inch
plywood on one side of them and steel siding on the other. I'd do
black iron pipe where it came through the wall, but other than that
the PVC would be well protected.

How are you going to show that off to friends that drop by?

As you implied, I'm lazy. When friends drop by the shop, we drink
beer. Beer + whirling sharp things means missing fingers, which
is a shop verboten ("ten in, ten out" is written on the door).

Doubt if any of the beer swillers really give a damn what my plumbing
is like. Pneumatic plumbing.

Anybody wager a guess if an exploding 1 inch PVC pipe could go
through 1/2 inch plywood? The pipes couldn't be hit by anything,
but summer heat might soften the PVC to the point it would burst

When that happens and you want to use the air again, you're probably
going to be quite impatient.

True. But I spent better than a week cutting, threading and cursing
that black pipe. I could have done the PVC thing in a few hours.
Could have made a lot of sawdust in that week. If the heat caused a
failure once in 10 years then maybe the trade off might be worth it.

Hm... looks like the virtues of a Perl programmer apply to more than
just Perl. :-)

http://www.netropolis.org/hash/perl/virtue.html (An explanation)

Again, you imply being lazy, impatient and full of hubris is a bad
thing. Its worked for me for 45 years.

Do I? The intent was to point out that doing it well ("right" is
ambiguous here) the first time allows you to be lazy, impatient, and full
of hubris. Oh well, refer to the sky color on Usenet and someone will
think you meant grey instead of blue.

*snip*

Puckdropper